The bone graft procedure entails surgically placing bone or bone material.
What to expect after surgery:
- Swelling and bruising (May take 24-48 hours to peak)
- Numbness due to anesthesia for up to six hours
- Discomfort for several days
- Facial and sinus pressure
- You may notice white particles within the mouth several days after surgery
- If suture was placed, it will dissolve
- If screws were placed, these will be removed at a following appointment, by discretion of the doctor
Please follow these instructions:
- Drink plenty of liquids
- Bleeding - lasts several hours after surgery - place gauze in area for 20-30 minutes. Repeat as needed.
- Avoid salty, spicy, crunchy and citric foods
- Avoid mouthwashes - rinse with saltwater three times per day for one week.
- Avoid hot foods or liquids while still numb
- To reduce swelling, elevate head and apply ice to the face, use moist heat to reduce swelling after the first 24 hours
- Eat a soft diet for the first 24 hours, avoid chewing in the surgical site
- Begin rinsing with salt water the day after surgery and continue for 7 days doing so 4 times per day.
Antibiotics and Pain Medications
Have any prescriptions filled promptly and take as directed. Non-narcotic medications (Motrin, Advil, Ibuprofen, Tylenol) should be taken as soon as possible and repeated as prescribed for the first several days. Narcotic pain medication can be taken in addition if pain relief is not adequate. However, when narcotic pain medications (Percocet, Vicodin, Tylenol with Codeine) are taken, you should not operate automobiles or other power equipment. Antibiotics, when prescribed, should be taken as indicated until gone. If a rash or swelling develops, discontinue the antibiotic immediately and call the office to inform your doctor.
Oral Hygiene and Smoking
It is important to maintain oral hygiene so that the wound will heal properly and not become infected. Smokers are advised not to smoke for five to seven days after surgery. Drawing on a cigarette may disturb the blood clot and thus interfere with the healing process.
Please reduce activities for 3 days following surgery.
Call your Doctor if:
- You have signs of infection, sudden swelling, or fever
- You have a reaction to any of the medications
- You experience prolonged bleeding
- Pain increases and/or your condition worsens
- You have any questions regarding the surgery or post-surgery instructions.
Please call Dr. Won Kyung Kim at Dr. Tel. # 617 410 6460